Move Menu Bar Items Around 10

Trick

Move Menu Bar Items Around

This is one tip is really quite interesting. For a really long time I couldn’t for the life of me find out how to move Menu Bar items around. As a result I found the items that I wanted to use disappearing since I have so many and the ones I use tend to get hidden by applications menus such as help etc.

If you want to move items around hold Shift + Command and then click and hold on the menu item. It will then go a light grey and enable you to move items around.

If Shift + Command doesn’t work, especially on Tiger, try using just command. If that doesn’t work try smashing Ctrl, Option and Command and see what works. If you don’t have Leopard and found how to do it please leave a comment.

Another cool feature is dragging an item off the menu bar. This works exactly the same as an icon in the dock. It makes that cool whoosh sound and supporting animation, it is then gone. It is a lot quicker than finding the system preference item and removing it from there. It is however slightly annoying if you want to add it back and you can’t remember where it belongs.

The only menu items that don’t want to move are the Spotlight icon and some third party apps. If that happens you can just rearrange icons so they move along the list. Other than that you can rearrange the icons to your hearts content. Pretty cool.

10 Responses to “Move Menu Bar Items Around”

when i ctrl+command click and drag the menu bar icons, i can drag them anywhere (even off of the menu bar). they are still click-able when off the menu bar, too. seems like a bug.

Comment By Anonymous on February 21st, at 11:37 pm

Thats weird what OS you running.

Comment By James Powell on February 22nd, at 8:19 am

10.5.2

Comment By Anonymous on February 23rd, at 8:43 pm

I’m running that OS, I really don’t no what is happening. I would try a restart or using a temp new account and see what happens. It could be a program conflict.

Comment By James Powell on February 23rd, at 10:54 pm

ctrl+cmd works on OS 10.4.11

Using a 1.5GHz Solo Mini

Comment By Ricky on February 28th, at 12:07 am

Oh awesome! I’ve been trying to figure out how to do this for a while now.

Comment By Austin on August 14th, at 4:44 am

when moving my ichat icon, it ALWAYS disappears off the menu bar– no matter how carefully i try and drag it.
    also– none of 3rd party icons will move at all.
    you mention “The only menu items that don’t want to move are the Spotlight icon and some third party apps. If that happens you can just rearrange icons so they move along the list.” –what do you mean? how can you re-arrange them if they don’t move?
    email me and i’ll send you a screen-capture of my menu bar.
    thanks in advance.
    tv
    p.s. OS 10.5.5

Comment By tony vincent on May 11th, at 8:52 am

Thank you so much! This was really helpful. :)

Comment By Kalin on October 1st, at 8:31 pm

Holding down Command alone and dragging the icon on the menu bar seem to work for me. I am running on ac OS X 10.6.4.

Comment By ccheu on February 15th, at 6:29 am

This usually only works with Mac OS items, not usually with third-party apps. Oftentimes you can’t actually move them, but you can likely rearrange many of the icons around them to shuffle things around.

Comment By David on March 11th, at 3:33 pm