Finding The Meaning Of Any Word 8

Tip

Finding The Meaning Of Any Word

This is just a quick tip for you today. If you are like me your English may not be the best. Mac OS X Leopard has an excellent built in Dictionary application. This post is going to show you how you can access Dictionary without having to open the program.

If you select any word (select-ability depends on the application) and press Control + Command + D you will see a small dictionary window pop up underneath the word.

Pressing “Dictionary” on the left hand side can change it between Dictionary, Thesaurus and Apple. Clicking on the more button will take you to the Dictionary program itself.

From what I have gathered you can only use this function in Apple applications that have a writing screen. For example TextEdit, Mail etc. It varies between applications.

8 Responses to “Finding The Meaning Of Any Word”

I dont think it’s limited to Apple applications or text applications. I think you can do it with any text in any cocoa application. No problem in Safari for instance.

Dont miss the preference settings inside the Dictionary application. There you can decide wether to go directly to the application or use the popup panel when you right click words. In the same preference window you may also turn off some of the dictionaries if you like.

Comment By Anders on August 2nd, at 12:07 am

I only have wikipedia in my Dictionary App.. what could be the problem.. any good dictionary applications other than built in for MAC?

Comment By MacPhobia on August 2nd, at 8:53 pm

I’m sorry I dont have any answer to this but I see this question being asked elsewhere.

a) What do you see at inside the folder at Library/Dictionaries ?

b) Have you tried quiting the application and deleting the preference files? These can be found inside Library/Preferences in your home folder.
    com.apple.Dictionary.plist
    com.apple.DictionaryServices.plist
    com.apple.PopupDictDaemon.plist

Comment By Anders on August 2nd, at 10:22 pm

a) there is nothing in the Library/Dictionary folder . where can i download the libraries any idea

Comment By MacPhobia on August 3rd, at 7:47 am

BTW the one asking question in insanelymac forum is me. :-)

Comment By MacPhobia on August 3rd, at 7:49 am

I dont know if these libraries can be downloaded. I dont think so. What you could try to do is extract them from the OS X install DVD using a tool called Pacifist.

Comment By Anders on August 3rd, at 11:43 am

Finding the Meaning of Any Word …. in your suggestions you stated to select a word …. you actually can press Control + Command + D then move your cursor over any word …. selecting it first isn’t necessary ….

Comment By bob on August 5th, at 4:03 am

Great tips here. This is a very interesting one. Up until now, I was just opening up spotlight, typing in th eword and activating the dictionary application. This is even faster!

Comment By Fink on August 5th, at 1:07 pm