Download HD YouTube Videos 26

Trick

Download HD YouTube Videos

I love YouTube, it is one of the best websites on the net. I love it even more since they release HD videos. I have been spending hours and hundreds of Gigabytes download really good quality videos. Anyway because some of these videos are so good I like to download them and save them for later use. This post will show you how to do it. There are two methods which I am going to highlight, the Javascript method and the Java app method.

The first step is the easiest. First find the video you want to watch download. If you want the HD version add &fmt=22 at the end of the URL. This will link to the HD video file. An example can be found here.

Once as the page has loaded, either drag and drop, copy and past the following into the URL bar and hit enter. This small piece of Javascript will set the video image to load as a download, as a result you can easily save it to locations on your Hard Drive.

javascript:window.location.href = 'http://youtube.com/get_video?video_id=' + swfArgs['video_id'] + "&fmt=22" + "&l=" + swfArgs['l'] + "&sk=" + swfArgs['sk'] + '&t=' + swfArgs['t'];

Your internet connection will churn away. An average (guess) of video sizes. Normal video ~5mb, high quality video ~40mb, HD video ~150mb. A lot of space for a 10 minute video. But it is worth every second. The quality is so good.

The only problem with this piece of javascript is that it may not work in all browsers, there have been some difficulties. To get round this you can use a small Java program. It is a little more advance than the javascript, and it can save the videos with file names etc. The only draw back with the Java program is that it doesn’t like downloading in HD. I gave up looking for a program that would.

Anyway enjoy a little *hack*, it might not last that long. If you know of a better why to download YouTube videos please leave a comment.

26 Responses to “Download HD YouTube Videos”

Easiest way is to open the Activity window in Safari. Scroll down and find the file with a MB size. All other files are just bytes or kilobytes. The videofile is always in MB. Press Alt and double click the MB file and it will start downloading. It will be named video.mp4 so you need to rename it after.

Comment By Anders on December 8th, at 9:35 pm

Tube Tv is a great little app for pulling the youtube videos for download.

Comment By Ry Guy on December 9th, at 1:31 am

I’m using the firefox add-on Fast Video Download 1.6

Works great!

Comment By Johan on December 9th, at 9:44 am

Will the greasemonkey plugin for firefox not work for HD versions of the vids?

Https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/748

Tay

Comment By Taylor Sharpe on December 9th, at 4:43 pm

I sort of miss the idea of how to do between after loading page and copy/paste the script into the URL. Is it mean 1. replace over whatever appear on the URL after the movie has been loading successfully the whole movie (or when the movie has started) or 2. paste the script behind or in front of the movie address ????
    I did the option 1, nothing happen thats why i confused.
    I’m so new to Mac, sorry if bother you guys

Comment By Duy on December 9th, at 8:34 pm

hit cmd+option+a key combo in Safari and the activity window will open. The movie will be the item with largest file size, double click and it will download as ‘getvideo’. Stick .flv on the end and there’s your movie!

Comment By Lars Looming on December 9th, at 11:11 pm

Hmm… post no 1?

And since it’s HD video we are talking about the file will be a mp4 file as I mentioned, not a flash file.

Comment By Anders on December 9th, at 11:18 pm

hi. the easiest way to download the videos from youtube is to go to window, then activity on safari while the video is playing. double click on the file with the MB and it should start downloading. then you can download this program called isquint that converts them to mpeg-4 so it can be plaed on itunes and yuor ipod. here is the link for the program isquint

your welcome

Comment By Neir Benyamin on December 10th, at 1:23 am

Comment By Rufus Baas on December 11th, at 12:08 am

I use the Activity Monitor built into Safari to download media from websites.
    Here is a good video tutorial showing how to use Activity Monitor:

Comment By Johnny on December 12th, at 7:19 pm

same there. I never tested winth hd videos, but I think that not be a problem…

Comment By Miguel Machado on December 16th, at 11:31 pm

I have been using the DownloadHelper add-on for Firefox and it works well. I think the new version will even download the files as .mp4′s instead of .flv’s. However, my new favorite application is MacTubes. It works really well and is pretty easy to use.

Comment By Jared on December 19th, at 1:26 am

Well, i haven’t tried it in HD, but i use Downloadhelper, although i found that the new feature (download as MP4) Does not work as my macbook doesn’t reconice the file.

I also use Media Converter, as this lets you not only download youtube vidoes, but in any file format, be it a Video or music format, however,you can only use it so many times a day.

Comment By Maju on December 29th, at 4:55 pm

verry good video site

Comment By jaykumar on January 24th, at 9:42 am

There is an easier solution, with the program Movier http://www.movier.tv when you download a video from Youtube it asks you how you want to download the video HD, HQ or normal

Comment By Triunp on March 13th, at 8:38 am

Comment By Yorgos on April 5th, at 6:09 pm

Thank you , but I suggest you to take a look at this site : http://www.youtubeto3gp.com/ it will help to download youtube videos in both FLV and 3GP formats.

Comment By FiFtHeLeMeNt on July 19th, at 4:00 pm

you can download youtube videos in .mp4, .flv, .mp3, HD.

Comment By bhavesh on December 19th, at 7:38 am

I’ve just stumbled upon your site while searching for a tutorial on an related subject. Glad I did too. There’s a lot I like. Anyway, you’ve been bookmarked and I’ll be back soon. :)

Comment By Lavette Vagott on April 5th, at 2:20 pm

Ohio, what an bad plan to get followers. And I like it ;)

Comment By SAMSUNG LCD HDTV on June 3rd, at 3:07 am

Interesting post. Are you kowing some websites from where you can download youtube videos?

Comment By Nice on September 19th, at 12:42 pm

“I’m using the firefox add-on Fast Video Download 1.6

this addon nt working anymore

Comment By freemoviesdownloads on December 31st, at 10:58 am

Interesting post! Thanks

Comment By freemoviesdownloads on December 31st, at 12:53 pm

It’s actually a cool and useful piece of information. I am happy that you just shared this helpful information with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.

Comment By Cracked pc games on November 29th, at 12:10 am

Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact used to be a amusement account it. Look advanced to more added agreeable from you! However, how could we keep up a correspondence?

Comment By Best Windows Downloads on November 29th, at 9:48 pm

Hi there, just become alert to your blog thru Google, and located that it’s truly informative. I am going to be careful for brussels. I’ll be grateful if you continue this in future. Numerous other folks might be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

Comment By youtube to mp3 online on December 7th, at 8:41 am