Why You Should Have Growl Installed 14

Application

Why You Should Have Growl Installed

I have been using Growl for a very long time now. Its one of the best Operating System “Plug-ins” you can get for the Mac. Growl is not really an application in the sense that you use it all the time, but it runs in the background and gives you useful information from applications. Applications have to support using Growl, but the list is ever growing and it is really useful, as a result you should have it installed.

Growl gives you select information from specific applications. For example Adium, the popular IM account will tell you when you get a new message through Growl. The Growl pop up can appear on any part of your screen, as a result its an unobtrusive way of receiving information. It similar to the pop up bubbles on Windows, except not as annoying.

Once you have installed Growl you can customize the way it looks, and operates. There isn’t million of settings but you can set it up to work how you want to. There is some default themes, but an ever growing list of custom themes which you can tweak to how you want.

One of the coolest themes which you can install is the iPhonesque theme. Its similar to the iPhone pop up style on an iPhone, I really like it. Its a cool theme which shows you how cool Growl can be.

This is a bit of a wishy washy post, but I wanted to high light why you should install this application. It is really useful and I recommend you install it. The best way to learn about this app is to pay around with it. If you find any cool tips please leave a comment below.

14 Responses to “Why You Should Have Growl Installed”

Maybe the title should read “Why YOU” instead of YOUR :)

None the less, very good post! The Growl system is super nifty and helpful. Use it across many different applications likes Transmission to Mail. Even more programs are including the ability to use Growl notifications.

Comment By Chris Wanja on February 10th, at 11:10 pm

i love your website

and i love this application its so powerful

Comment By ibrahim Ramadah on February 10th, at 11:22 pm

Call me crazy but I never really liked Growl. I tried it out a while back but I just found it annoying.

Comment By Graham Hall on February 10th, at 11:30 pm

Are you running Snow Leopard? That scroll bar in the System Preference pane image is pretty awesome. :)

Comment By MacTipper on February 11th, at 12:38 am

I’m not running Snow Leopard. What do you mean by scroll bar.

Comment By admin on February 11th, at 12:42 am

The scroll bar in the section for selecting the display style:

http://www.piccdrop.com/images/1234309493.png <– Scroll bar circled.

Comment By MacTipper on February 11th, at 12:46 am

Oh its a theme I applied. In fact i’ll show how I did it tommorow, thanks for the idea.

Comment By admin on February 11th, at 12:51 am

I Love growl and thanks for that kickass theme!
    I’m using it now!

Comment By GG (smiling_jack) on February 11th, at 8:07 pm

I love Growl too, been using it for years now. I love it for iTunes and mail. It’s great for iTunes because I use the sticky Keys app that let’s me use hot keys to control my mac. So when I’m in another window and change songs with my hot keys, growl will pop up and tell me what song is playing and show me the album art.

Love the blog dude, keep ‘em coming!

Tay

Comment By Tay Sharpe on February 11th, at 8:28 pm

I have to totally agree!
    I had this installed when i upgraded my Adium and I have really found it useful!!

Comment By Pittsburgh on February 22nd, at 2:55 pm

I personally don’t get it. I find Growl very annoying. It interferes with what even I am doing at the moment. IMO it is very windows like. Pop ups all over the place telling me things that I could easily find if I wanted to. Email alert? Look at the badge on Mail. It goes against basic user interface design tenants by obstructing current application focus. Though, whatever tickles your pickle is best.

Comment By Jason Lazzara on March 19th, at 1:31 am

Growl is obnoxious. Nobody should install it.

Comment By notalot on April 12th, at 10:17 am

Yeah, I’m with notalot… I actually googled “why i should install growl” after having it installed for a year – I wanted to know if I was missing something or not. All it does is pop up and tell me crap I already know is going on – so why would I want to add, yet another, system resource using app. I’m gonna run without it for a while. What I’d like to see in your post are some more concrete applications of its utility (I mean OK, so iTunes tells me what’s playing – If I don’t know what I selected iTunes to play in the first place I probably should think about my music selection a little more? I just don’t get it.)

Comment By baltobikeboi on February 24th, at 9:18 pm

i also find growl very annoying!! the update process is always in the way. please change this Growl!

Comment By Dan Kester on April 30th, at 2:27 am