Quick Tip To Speed Up Firefox 9

Tip

Quick Tip To Speed Up Firefox

A quick tip this evening. Since quite a lot of people use Firefox (the majority of the visitors to this site are Firefox Users), its always useful to know a quick little trick if your browser is slowing down. I found this trick as a solution to my browser slowing down, some times it would take about 20 minutes to load on a really bad day. Its all related to your history.

Every time you visit a web page, every time, it will record the date and the site visited. If you browse a lot of pages every day this database will build up. After a while it can get to over 10,000 items in size, possibly more. Every time Firefox loads or does the majority of its actions it will access this database, as a result it will slow down.

To speed up Firefox delete you history, this way it doesn’t have to access the database, please note if you have a really long history it will take a long time to delete and will probably cause the app to hang. It is also a good tip to go to the Preferences > Privacy > History and set the time limit to a couple of days.

Like I have said, this is only a quick tip, but it is very useful and I have seen notable increases in speed.

9 Responses to “Quick Tip To Speed Up Firefox”

I’ve set it to record the last 50 days history, and have over 45,000 items in my history. But Firefox isn’t running noticeably slower. Although if I do notice a drop in speed I’ll think about doing this!

Also, surely deleting the history negates firefox’s awesome bar, the best feature in 3 imo?

Comment By Alex on March 20th, at 12:41 am

I will try it. how about less plugins? the 1rst firefox run is a really pain in the a**

Comment By glpunk on March 21st, at 4:17 am

what

Comment By tKnO on March 21st, at 4:58 pm

Sosososososososo.
    My friend (a TOTAL FREAK) learned how to ward the browsers warranty and make it go so much faster because he went to some internal address and made his browser incredibly fast.
    Can you tell me how?

Comment By Me! on April 2nd, at 9:30 pm

@Me!:

Your friend went to the address about:config to change values for preferences such as network.http.pipelining (set to “false” as the default) and nglayout.initialpaint.delay (probably set to 250 as default?). The former allows you to send requests to servers before recieving any input, which speeds up load time. The latter sets the delay, in milliseconds, before Firefox renders the page.

The “warranty” page is just a fun little joke made by the developers. This is funny and ironic because Firefox is free and open-source, and is licensed under the GPL which guarantees no warranty.

The actual page does not ward any warranty. It is just a precaution to inexperienced users that they may damage Firefox’s functionality, with added humor.

Hope that answers your question.

Comment By Eli on August 30th, at 12:45 am

Thank you! My web browsing had come to a crawl the last several weeks and this resolved it instantly.

Comment By kathy on September 6th, at 7:36 am

I turn off history. don’t use it. or need it.

Comment By loek on October 25th, at 5:28 pm

How do I find the
    “about:config to change values for preferences”

I have stopped using firefox as it runs fine when I dump the history and cache and then immediately gets slower and slower with a lot of a spinning wheel of death, then it loads. Had to go back to safari

Jack

Comment By Jack ÓAnnon on February 25th, at 8:44 pm

Best blog post Quick Tip To Speed Up Firefox | Mac Tricks And Tips you’ve certainly moved everyone thank you Cheers ! Rob Rasner Facebook

Comment By Rob Rasner Facebook on May 7th, at 3:08 pm